RE: Re: AIS Symposium

Something of the sort sounds good to me.  I do not know whether mixing in
non-TB's would be good or not.  But I certainly like this approach to
write-ins, although I would not require a minimum number of votes per
region for a cultivar to be considered.  I would probably require a minimun
number of total votes; however the number would probably be low because
most people are sheep and would not bother to write in a candidate that
wasn't already on the list, not having validation from "experts" that their
opinion was justified.  Those few who are opinionated enough to thus
promote an outstanding but overlooked iris would find this an excellent

John Reeds
From: 	Sandy Ives[SMTP:rives@home.com]
Subject: 	[iris-talk] Re: AIS Symposium

My only idea would be to have a write-in section for inclusion on the
ballot for the following year.

1.) The top 5 write-in iris (or 10 or whatever) get added to the ballot
the year after the write-in.

2.) If the top 5 (or 10 or whatever) happen to be non-TBs, they would be
identified as such on the ballot.

3.) The RVPs tabulate the regular list and mail it in.  The RVPs then
tabulate the write-ins.  Say a minimum number of votes have to be
received by each RVP before forwarding those counts on to the next
level.  Say a minimum of two votes per region per cultivar.  Bearded
iris only though.

4.) The write-in winners get announced only via their appearance on the
next year's ballot.