Re: CULT:Alfalfa pellets vs cubes vs rabbit pellets

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....

Nick Zentena wrote:
>         Hi,
>         I spent some time looking for alfalfa pellets. Actually I was
> also looking for sulfur but I found that.  All I managed to find were
> cubes [about 1"x1"x1"] or rabbit pellets. The cubes look like they will
> take awhile to breakdown. The rabbit food includes other things to make
> the rabbit happy. [Corn meal?] Now I've seen a reference to making a
> tea out of the pellets. Anybody think that would work with the cubes?
>         Getting back to the sulfur. Other then lowering the Ph is there
> any worry about using it on/around the irises this fall?
>         Thanks

You should try a farm feed store and ask for alfalfa pellets for horses.
The other additives to rabbit feed pellets are at best more costly and
at worst growth inhibitors (corn by-products).

On new beds sprinkle them generously on the surface then turn (or till)
them in. The moisture from the soil will begin to break them down. If
you are puting them on an existing bed of irises, be sure the pellets
don't get caught in the fans or build up around the rhizomes. The
pellets will swell up 4-5 times their size when they get wet and make a
soggy mass around the rhizome or fan and may encourage rot.

For established beds, making a tea is probably a better choice because
the nutrients get to the roots faster and there is not the risk of rot
from the expanded pellets.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at: