Re: Cult: cut iris

Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7872/0/_/486170/_/967583711/

gardenhous@aol.com wrote:

> When ever I have cut iris and  bring them inside they do not last more than 3
> days before turning to mush. What tricks do you use to keep them for a show?
> Does any one know what is in that floral preservative you get with cut
> flowers in the stores? I have tried the asprin thing , adding 1/2 asprin to
> water, but does not work.

Doreen

The best I have found is a little Sprite (to give the plant sugar and
citric acid) with a little clorox (to inhibit bacteria). Cut about 3/4
inch off the stem with a sharp knife every other day or so. My irises
last around 6-9 days. (Keep them in a cool spot out of direct sun or
heat as well)

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at: