Re: CULT:Alfalfa pellets vs cubes vs rabbit pellets

http://click.egroups.com/1/7010/0/_/486170/_/967585916/

Hi, Everybody, May I add my 2-cents to the debate of rabbit vs horse "feed" ?
 Many years ago, begins the usual tale, when Terry Aitken's article appeared
in the MEDIANITE (one of our best publications, even if you don't grow many
medians  {and you should, just for variety, says grandma!}, I told all my
iris friends in the wide area around here.  One of them had left-over rabbit
food (the rabbit had gone to rabbit-heaven) and she used that up. Because of
years of associating with my scientific-minded husband, I called the
manufacturer about the relative merits of the two feeds.  He very thoroly
explained that the alfa-bits or alfalfa-bits for horses would be better for
plants - and as anotther science-minded friend pointed out that farmers till
alfalfa into their fields to enrich the soil - SO, John is so right that the
horse feed is far superior - it really works wonders and a feed store is the
cheapest and best place to find it AND it  costs less than fertilizer, not
that I mean to say to give up on fertilizer.  It comes as a powder, which
some prefer,  I don't like to get it breezed onto my shoes!   It also comes
in large lumps, which I don't like because it takes too long to break down --
and if you put it on the surface, it makes a nauseating mess when it rains..
The ideal is/are the pellets, about the size of the eraser at the end of a
pencil. As Goldilocks would say "they are just right!"

When re-making a bed, I'm very generous with it,(7' x 30'??) spread 2 bags
before plowing along with horse manure (guess that could be second-hand
alfalfa-bits sometimes, depending on what the horse is fed!)  "some"
peatmoss, "some fertilizer etc. etc,  purely empirical, sort of by gosh, by
golly, whatever is around, but ALWAYS alfalfabits.   When  planting an iris
here and there, first dig the hole, sprinkle in the "goodies" (a lttle
peatmoss, a little fertilizer, and some pellets all mixed together) "scrunch
it all around with the soil, add a  little water, let it soak thru, plant the
iris, water again - Voila!
 That works for me,  just pick out of this what you want and what would work
for your climate, soil, energy, etc.      Rosalie nr Baltimore,USA  zone 7,
sometimes 6ish.  ryfigge@aol.com