Re: CULT: bearded pH comparisons

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....

> V. sez:
>    Now I have always heard that bearded irises preferred a
> slightly acidic soil - around 6.5. Yet I know that George
> Sutton has had good luck growing them in a very alkaline
> soil. Apparently there is a fairly wide range that they can
> tolerate. Has anyone tried growing them at two different
> pHs in the same garden and compared the difference?

Bernice Miller's catalog was full of this kind of information, at least
for TBs.  I sure wish I had discovered her during the time she was
actively experimenting.  I think I found her the year she issued her
last catalog.  If you are patient, I will dig up her catalog (surely I
saved it) and post something from it.  may take me a few months or
years, but what the heck, we seem to be in this for the long haul.

She was in southern Alabama?  Worse place to try to grow TBs than here,
I expect.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8