Re: Re: alfalfa/broccoli

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....

A little twist on the alfalfa theme.  We live in a highly agricultural area
and the universities are always doing new ag related studies down here.
Recently one caught my attention.  Broccoli residue spread on fields during
the cultivation process acts as a natural soil "fumigant".  As it decomposes
it kills or drives away harmful nematodes *and* acts as a strong weed seed
killer and fungicide.  It also (obviously) adds nutrients and humus to the
soil.  So......if we can get some broccoli residue (broccoli farmers don't
like to get rid of it, they just plow it in) this year we will run a test
for iris.  Food for thought, or at least the ground.
Mike Sutton
Porterville, CA USA
USDA zone 8 - brrrr chilly this morning.