Re: Potted Iris?

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....

I pot up all my new acquisitions ,so they have a chance here in hot, dry Texas. Tht way I cn control sun and moisture(I think I remember what that is;-)) . Sometimes I run out of room or don't get them planted in time and they have to winter over in the pots. I do not fertilize them while in the pots...yes that makes them miss a feeding, but they do fine...think of ll those iris in the alleys and cgraveyards that never get regular fertilizing, they do just fine. I keep mine on the south side of my house, on the deck, often on a raised bench (keeps the wet pots from rotting out the deck) which means they get cold from underneath as well as above. The only ones I have lost are ones that were questionable to start. They don't grow a vigorously as they would in the ground, but they do grow...and bloom in the spring. They are tough!

I wouldn't worry about keeping them in pots for 6 months to a year.  Just remember to water them occasionally (once a week when hot like now..once every 2 weeks otherwise). And a bit of shade like from a tree or a shadecloth will help in the deep summer to keep them from getting sunburned. If they do appear to be 'dead', they might just be in dormancy, so give them a chance to recover in the fall.

Good luck on your move and happy planting.

Plano, TX
Zone7/8 - Day 60 and counting.....
                 Dear Lord, I pray for rain, not for myself, but for my 6 year old who has never seen it.

>>> AmGinley@cs.com 08/29/00 10:20PM >>>
I am new to the list, but have loved Iris for years. I just started getting
into the named TB Iris, and now I have a problem.
I am moving, and have potted up most of the iris, getting prepared for the
move. I have about a 100 pots, and now am wondering how to keep them in pots
for an extended period of time? I am in North TX, and am moving to Central
TX, but since we can't find a house- we are probably going to build. The iris
may be in their pots for another 6 months, so I need to know what to do with
them for fertlizing, and overwintering? I am afraid to fertilize due to the
rot potential. I did have some rot in June- when we got deluged with rain.
Now have to water- due to no rain for 60 days.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am interested in all this talk about
alfalfa vs. rabbit pellets. I have rabbits, and have tilled their manure in
the new beds, and the iris love it.
Thanks for any help.