Re: CULT:Alfalfa pellets vs cubes vs rabbit pellets

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....

		First of all I want to thank everybody.

	To answer the questions. The bed is a fairly evenly spilt
between Japanese and Siberian. In addition the odd bearded. I have no
idea what variety the bearded are. They mostly came from a bed that had
been ignored for awhile. The current Ph of the bed is just under 7 [say
6.8]. Things look fairly healthy since they were planted this spring. A
couple of the Japanesse are a little yellow but for all I know that may
be the variety since the other Japanese in the bed look very green. The
bed was heavily adjusted after I tore up the sod. On the other hand the
soil around the bed is our usual clay. Worse it seems very hard to
lower the Ph of the clay. I've had serious trouble getting blueberries
to look okay. No matter what I've tried. They just laugh at peat and
everything else I've thrown at them. I think the other problem is our
water. It contains alot of temporary hardness [chalk-calcium carbonate
I think] and it does a pretty good job of buffering any attempt to
lower the Ph. That's good for some things but likely means every time I
water the Ph creeps up a little. I bought the sulfur mainly for the
blueberries and the roses [which if it wasn't for the black spot
wouldn't have any leaves-(] but I also think I should consider adding a
little sulfur to the bed with the irises.

	Getting back to the alfalfa the two feed stores I tried only
had horse feed in cube form. They did give me the name of thier
supplier. I checked with the mill and it seems they do normally stock
pellets but of course they are sold out right now.  That shouldn't be a
problem since right now I'm only trying to collect everything in
advance. What I intend to do is when it gets cold enough to mound up
the roses I'll clean up the beds. Cut down the leaves on the irises and
spread the pellets,manure and sulfur. Hopefully the sulfur will help
with the blackspot next year and it won't hurt to lower the Ph a little.

Anybody got plans for an ark?