Re: Re: alfalfa/broccoli

Open the door to endless possibilities for your home!

Mike Sutton wrote:
> A little twist on the alfalfa theme.  We live in a highly agricultural area
> and the universities are always doing new ag related studies down here.
> Recently one caught my attention.  Broccoli residue spread on fields during
> the cultivation process acts as a natural soil "fumigant".  As it decomposes
> it kills or drives away harmful nematodes *and* acts as a strong weed seed
> killer and fungicide.  It also (obviously) adds nutrients and humus to the
> soil.  So......if we can get some broccoli residue (broccoli farmers don't
> like to get rid of it, they just plow it in) this year we will run a test
> for iris.  Food for thought, or at least the ground.

HI Mike,

Pleae don't think I am carping at you, but I would be interested in
knowing how it distinguishes between "good" and "bad" nematodes?

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:

President, Westbay Iris Society