Re: RE: Re: AIS Symposium

Get Your Free PC World Newsletter Today!

"Michael D. Greenfield" wrote:
> ----------
> > From: John Reeds <jreeds@microsensors.com>
> >
> > If the symposium is for everyone in AIS, then the "experts" should not be
> > able to tell us which iris we should be allowed to vote for.  Either way, I
> > would still bet anyone that a listed iris would get more votes than the
> > same iris would get as a write-in candidate.
> >
> I am confused by this thread. Are we talking about an all iris symposium or
> the AIS TB Symposium?  Or both.

My confusion is in a slightly different area: First, which categories of
iris do you want to write in? -- 1) newish iris that didn't get enough
exposure with judges or were not deemed worthy of an HM? 2) older iris
that got an HM but did not make the Symposium or did but dropped off? or
3) older iris that never got an award?

I know that there are good iris in all three categories, but ....

I will mention the suggestion at the fall AIS board meeting, but I will
need some convincing before I actively push it.

One of the purposes of AIS is to try to improve the quality of iris that
get out into circulation. Symposium rankings are used by some to choose
iris to buy. I will have trouble supporting a proposal for the AIS to
recommend an iris that has not won an award, without further reasons (so
please continue to try to make a case).

Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair, Region 15 Ass't RVP, JT Chair
in warm, winterless Los Angeles