CULT: Growing Irises in pots.

Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7872/0/_/486170/_/967684681/

In a message dated 8/29/00 11:26:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, AmGinley@cs.com
writes:

<< The iris
 may be in their pots for another 6 months, so I need to know what to do with
 them for fertlizing, and overwintering? I am afraid to fertilize due to the
 rot potential. I did have some rot in June- when we got deluged with rain.
 Now have to water- due to no rain for 60 days. >>

Amy,
     I am in Florida, about 20 miles southwest of Ocala, and have to grow all
my Irises in various types of containers.  I have a few Tall Bearded
Rebloomers that I grow in pots.  After one year, I have to re-pot them.  I
fill the pots with a high quality locally available potting mix, planting the
Iris in it as I fill the pot.  For Bearded Irises, I do not sink the pots
into the ground.
     If it does not rain, I water them about once per week, and fertilize
them about once per month.  I go easier on the fertilizer in the winter.
Here, the pots stay put all winter, but in considerably colder climates,
special precautions may have to be taken, but it is not difficult to do.  If
you need further information, let me know.

Mark A. Cook
BigAlligator@aol.com
Dunnellon, Florida          USDA Zone 8b.