Get Your Free PC World Newsletter Today!

I am in support of the idea of removing the write-in votes from the Symposium.

I seriously doubt any write-in votes have ever won a spot in the top 100 favorites.  Had there been a write-in vote that did make the top 100, I am sure someone by now would have mentioned that in support of having write-in votes.

Therefore, all the extra work it has created for the people tallying the votes has been unjustified.  The only benefit to it that I can see is that someone who wants to write in a vote can get some satisfaction out of the idea they were able to score one point toward an iris that is not qualified by the current standards.

I understand this is probably not going to be a popular opinion,  but IF it is truthful nonetheless, even for the most part, then maybe some people will come to agree with the decision that removed write-in votes from the ballot.  I know I was bummed out about it until I came to this realization.

I am also in support of leaving the Symposium just the way it is...TB's only.

I belong to the Reblooming Iris Society, and they have their own Reblooming Symposium.  I feel this is the best way to handle this situation.

I think the Median Iris Society, the Society for Siberian Irises, the Spuria Iris Society, the Society for Japanese Irises, the Dwarf Iris Society, the Society for Pacific Coast Native Irises, the Species Iris Group of Northern America, the Historic Iris Preservation Society, Aril Society International, and the Society for Louisiana Irises should all have their own symposiums like the Reblooming Iris Society does.

I really like the way the AIS Symposium is currently set up, and any deviation from that would simply be a waste of resources in my most humble opinion.

Patrick Orr
Arizona - Zone 9