Re: re: AIS:SYMPOSIUM IMHO

Install today:
http://click.egroups.com/1/6347/0/_/486170/_/967728258/

>Isn't the AIS supposed to be ALL iris.. not just Tall Beardeds?  If the
>Symposium is just devoted to TBs then why not change the name of the AIS to
>(for example) the Tall Bearded Iris Society?

One problem with that idea...there already is a Tall Bearded Iris Society,
or so rumor has it!

AIS is more than the symposium.  If you have been reading the Bulletin
lately you have seen many articles on "other" irises, thanks largely to
Terry Aitken's excellent editorship.  At AIS conventions, each section
holds meetings of its own that are usually attended by scores of people.
AIS awards are given to all irises, not just TBs.

Seems as if our Society is being whipsawed between those who think there is
too much attention paid to TBs, and those who think there is not enough!  I
wish that those in either camp would get under the Big Tent and work
constructively for a better AIS.  You might not get exactly the AIS you
wanted, but believe me, you will have a voice and an impact.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943