Re: OT-PLANTS -Mainly Defunct Nurseries

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] OT-PLANTS -Mainly Defunct Nurseries
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:46:16 -0500
On 2 Aug 01, at 8:04, Jeff and Carolyn Walters wrote:

> > I mentioned Gurney's before I read Greg's last post, wherein Gurney's
> > was listed along with Henry Field's, a rip-off company I had forgotten
> > about.  This is great news!
> Walter,
> In a way, it is in fact very sad news. In recent years Foster & Gallagher
> apparently pursued a policy of buying up long established nurseries with
> well known names and reputations in order to milk these assets as vehicles
> for their reprehensible business practices. Gurney's, Stark Brothers, and
> Henry Field were firms that had long served the horticultural community
> faithfully and well. . .
> Michigan Bulb, as far as I know, was always a ripoff. Foster & Gallagher
> has done a much greater disservice to gardeners in North America by
> sullying the names of once reputable firms and running them into the
> ground.
    It was more than thirty years ago that I got the 'split rhizomes'
from Gurneys, long before it was taken over by MB.  I had't seen this
splitting procedure before or after.  I never ordered from them again
but have continued to get a 'newspaper' every year.  Like Omaha
Steaks, Gurneys has kept up with my address changes.  I couldn't
shake them.

    It was probably about the same time (way back yonder)  that Henry
Field sent me Dutch irises for English irises.

   Stark Brothers was usually pretty good.  Everything I got from
them was always correct and in excellent condition and their sales
personnel were extremely helpful on the phone.

   Wayside usually winds up canceling my order because their
suppliers did not come through.  You will recall that they attempted
to change the name of the Louisiana iris to the North American Iris
or something like that.  Then, after they issued a catalog featuring
North American Irises or Native American Irises, the AIS Board
stepped in and persuaded Wayside not to attempt to change the long-
established term of Louisiana irises.

    Park is great in April and May when they cancel orders that were
placed in January.  Again, their 'suppliers' didn't come through.
That's the message I got when I called about the cancellation.

   Walter Moores
   Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!