Re: CULT: SOMETHING dug up my rhizomes last night!

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: SOMETHING dug up my rhizomes last night!
  • From: "Janet Stromborg" <twinhill@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 15:05:51 -0500

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: lmmunro@hotmail.com
  To: iris-talk@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2001 10:02 AM

  Has anyone ever had this problem? I guess its not really serious, but
  within my newly planted rhizome bed, last night something dug up
  about 6 of them and laid them on their sides! Well, at least whatever
  dug them up decided they weren't really that interesting after all,
  and left. No chews; none missing. Still, somewhat disconcerting.
  I hope that creature has got it thru its head that each rhizome is
  exactly as unappealing as the previous one...and perhaps tonight will
  move on to greener pastures.
  Or should I be thinking about some kind of deterrent??

  Laetitia

  Hi Laetitia,

  I've had this happen and am fairly certain that a skunk was the culprit.  They dig in my other flower beds looking for one of their favorite foods, June bug larvae (A.K.A. grubs).  A friend of mine once had his whole front yard torn up by one of the little stinkers until he finally trapped it (not a pleasant task, to be sure!) and relocated it.  About the only thing I've found that works at a deterrent is scattering moth balls among the plantings.

  Janet in Denmark,  WI  USDA zone 4

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!