Re: CULT: SOMETHING dug up my rhizomes last night!

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: SOMETHING dug up my rhizomes last night!
  • From: gmbeasle@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 22:23:06 EDT

twinhill@earthlink.net writes:

>    Has anyone ever had this problem? I guess its not really serious, but
>    within my newly planted rhizome bed, last night something dug up
>    about 6 of them and laid them on their sides! Well, at least whatever
>    dug them up decided they weren't really that interesting after all,
>    and left. No chews; none missing. Still, somewhat disconcerting.
>    I hope that creature has got it thru its head that each rhizome is
>    exactly as unappealing as the previous one...and perhaps tonight will
>    move on to greener pastures.
>    Or should I be thinking about some kind of deterrent??

Sometimes squirrels or ground hogs will do this.  We have put up a 4 strand
electric fence around the garden (each strand about 6-8" apart).  We had the
fence already from when we had a horse in the backyard temporarily.

RosalieAnn in southern MD, USA.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!