RE: CULT: SOMETHING dug up my rhizomes last night!

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] CULT: SOMETHING dug up my rhizomes last night!
  • From: "McCullough, Greg" <icity@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 08:12:07 -0500

No, that was tongue-in-cheek. I do let my neighbor who helps keep an eye on
my place hunt...doesn't seem to reduce the population much. We recently
drove up to our house to discover 9 deer and 13 turkeys in the front yard.

My biggest problem with the deer are my water lilies. Apparently the lily
pads are deer candy. They get in the ponds and graze, turning over pots and
poking holes in the liners. I tried the Scarecrow product (motion detectors
that spray water) with little success. Finally had to put up an electric
fence around the ponds. I took it down after a couple of months and it seems
to have diverted them to other feeding grounds.

Other than pulling up newly planted rhizomes and stomping around in the beds
they're not much trouble...we enjoy having them around.

Greg McCullough
Iris City Gardens
Zone 6

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/