Re: CULT: SOMETHING dug up my rhizomes last night!

  • Subject: Re: CULT: SOMETHING dug up my rhizomes last night!
  • From: lmmunro@hotmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 14:33:36 -0000

Yes, I DID use a fertilizer before I planted that contained bone meal.
It was not my usual fertilizer, but was all the store had in stock
that was for bulbs/rhizomes; pretty stinky too!
I also have living in the vicinity: woodchuck, deer, skunk,
squirrels, crows and bear! All now suspects in the crime.
Last night was better; nothing disturbed.Except for one big fat toad
trying to make a home under a rhizome.
Laetitia

--- In iris-talk@y..., Sandra Barss <barsssa@m...> wrote:
> Did you by chance use bonemeal when you planted them ?  I have had
the
> same type of thing happen and I got the impression "something" was
> attracted to
> the bonemeal.
>
> Sandra
> SE Manitoba
> Zone 3
>
> lmmunro@h... wrote:
>
> > Has anyone ever had this problem? I guess its not really serious,
but
> > within my newly planted rhizome bed, last night something dug up
> > about 6 of them and laid them on their sides! Well, at least
whatever
> > dug them up decided they weren't really that interesting after
all,
> > and left. No chews; none missing. Still, somewhat disconcerting.
> > I hope that creature has got it thru its head that each rhizome is
> > exactly as unappealing as the previous one...and perhaps tonight
will
> > move on to greener pastures.
> > Or should I be thinking about some kind of deterrent??
> >
> > Laetitia

Service.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!