Re: seed propagation

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] seed propagation
  • From: "Patrick Orr" <PatrickJOrr@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 17:49:45 -0700

Dear Bwardwelliii,

I think you would do better receiving this information from someone who lives closer to you than I do, but if you do not hear anything, send me an email offline and I will tell you what I do to propagate irises from seed.

Most people wait until the iris pod begins to split at the top.  At this point, rather than risk having the seeds fall out, they harvest the pod and bring it indoors to completely dry.  Then when it is completely dry they harvest the seeds and store them in the refrigerator until planting time.  Some people harvest the seeds out of the pod as soon as the pod begins to split at the top, and they dry the seeds out indoors before storing them until planting time.  I have tried both methods, they both work great for me here, but may not for you there (rumor has it in humid areas pods with too much moisture inside of them can rot).  I live in a relatively dry place...my pods can and have dried completely on the stalk before.  I just tie a nylon sock around them so if any seeds fall out they are not lost.

As far as when to plant and how for your area, hopefully someone will provide that information to you.  If not let me know and I will find out.

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ  Zone 9
patrickjorr@hotmail.com