Re: AIS: 2001 Dykes Medal Award

  • Subject: Re: AIS: 2001 Dykes Medal Award
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 12:03:21 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., judyhunt1@a... wrote:
> Does anyone know if this year's Dykes Medal winner has been
determined...?"

Judy, I'm sure some know, but the publication of the award hasn't
happened yet apparently.  Watch the AIS site on the Internet and
check the "News" page.  There's a note there that says to watch for
the announcement--to be made late July or early August.  Well, it's
early August and the clock's running....

If I were a commercial grower again and wanted to outguess the award
I'd pay special attention to the John C. Wister Memorial Medal.  That
seems to be a good predictor of the top contenders for the Dykes.

A number of years ago the top vote getter in the Awards of Merit,
especially if the vote for the top variety was strong, would often be
the Dykes winner two years later.  That no longer appears to be
true.  The Wister medal seems now to be the predictor....Last year
the top Wister vote-getter was MESMERIZER, with CELEBRATION SONG a
somewhat close second.  Care to take bets?

The URL for the AIS is:

http://www.irises.org/

Neil Mogensen  zone 6b/7a near Asheville, NC

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!