Re: AIS:2002 Symposium

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] AIS:2002 Symposium
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gerrysnyder@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 05:55:01 -0700

wmoores wrote:

> I am looking at the 2002 Symposium of Tall Bearded Irises Ballot, and
> I quote, "AIS affiliates are invited to vote, in addition to
> individuals."  Can somebody explain to me how an affiliate can vote?

Smart-alec answer--by marking the ballot and mailing it to the RVP.

More useful answer--some clubs enjoy getting together and
voting on what might loosely be called a consensus. I'm
sure that sometimes the president just duplicates her/his ballot.

> Who in the affiliate is responsible for the balloting, etc?

Well, the president is supposed to get the Bulletin.

> As far as I know, our affiliate has never voted.

I suspect that many/most have not.

>  Wouldn't some people be voting twice?

In effect, yes. But I have been assured that allowing this
is a long-standing tradition.

> I will admit that I have never noticed this statement before.

Don't worry, Walta, your memory is not failing. I added the statement
just this year.

The question came up last year in Region 14, and Kitty Loberg
asked me about it. My first inclination was that they could not
vote, based on gut feel rather than any knowledge. So I asked
Clarence Mahan, who assured me that there is a long history of
affiliates voting. Since I suspected that many clubs didn't
know that they are eligible, I decided to make it explicit.

The R14 situation had a further twist. The club had three
memberships (presumably to get three Bulletins). It sent
in three ballots. It was ruled that only one could be counted.

I hope this clears things up.

Gerry

PS  Presumably AIS Sections, as AIS members, are eligible, too.
But since the only group expected to be interested in a
TB symposium is not a Section, that question has not come up,
to the best of my knowledge.
--
mailto:gerrysnyder@mediaone.net
Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair, Region 15 RVP

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!