Re: Iris Borer Deterrent

  • Subject: Re: Iris Borer Deterrent
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 14:48:40 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., Daniel Michalowski wrote:
"On the inside of the back-cover of the AIS Bulletin, July 2001 issue
there is an advertisement for a Garden Shield product - "Iris Borer
Deterrent".  Would appreciate any comments regarding this product?"

 Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair, Region 15 RVP responded:
"I have no personal knowledge of the product (and have not seen
that issue of the Bulletin yet---grrr.)
"But at the spring AIS board meeting there was an extended discussion
of the ad in the April issue.  I do not remember any favorable
comments...There were questions about the effectivity and the price."

One comment that may be helpful to Daniel--in previous posts on Iris-
talk and elsewhere there is described the "pinch method" where one
squeezes an affected fan and pops the borer if caught in time.  The
method sure does "deter" that particular borer from further activity.

Also mentioned have been the importance of removing dead and diseased
leaves year 'round, but especially in the fall.  The deterrent value
of this practice is also substantial.

My own reaction to the aforementioned ad was--why should I buy a
product to do something I can do quite well with a bit of needed

I do also use Cygon 2E, but I suspect the cleanup and squeeze part of
my regimen is of more import than the chemical in borer control.

Neil Mogensen  zone 6b/7a near Asheville, NC where after three years
of drought the rain pours down copiously day after day.  I'm not sure
whether it's more important to thank God or keep picking my rotting

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!