Re: AIS:2002 Symposium

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] AIS:2002 Symposium
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gerrysnyder@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 08:55:22 -0700

wmoores wrote:
> On 4 Aug 01, at 5:55, Gerry Snyder wrote:
> > wmoores wrote:
> > >
> > > I am looking at the 2002 Symposium of Tall Bearded Irises Ballot, and I
> > > quote, "AIS affiliates are invited to vote, in addition to individuals."
> > >  Can somebody explain to me how an affiliate can vote?
> >
> > Smart-alec answer--by marking the ballot and mailing it to the RVP.
> >
>    Gee, I had a response to the above statement, but now that I have read
> the entire message I think I will just pass.

Thank you, and I apologize for the comment I made, even in jest.
I appreciate your forbearance.

> > > I will admit that I have never noticed this statement before.
> >
> > Don't worry, Walta, your memory is not failing. I added the statement just
> > this year.
> >
>    Why couldn't there have been an explanation of this on the ballot?  I am sure
> there are others just as confused as I, or others wondering if they had early onset
> of a terrible memory disease.
>    How are we supposed to know these things if we are not told?  I
> don't remember reading this in the AIS Board Minutes either.

Affiliates are able to vote. They have been able to vote for a long
I made it explicit, trying to even the playing field (since many/most
clubs might not know that).

I would appreciate an example of what you think I should have said.
How much history should I have gone into? I thought (obviously
that the simple statement was enough.

You are correct that the discussion did not make it into the minutes
of the fall 2000 board meeting. The minutes would fill the Bulletin
if that kind of detail were available. And perhaps it should be,
somewhere, but not in the Bulletin.

>   I certainly hope the tabulators are aware of this and don't think
> they've gotten a padded ballot from some smart-alec.

If any RVP has a question, it should be addressed to me or to Clarence.

>   I shall take a ballot to our meeting today and we shall vote!

Good. If your RVP has a problem (and tells you) let me and Clarence

>   One other question, is the Official Judges' Ballot handled the same
> way in some regions?  Years ago, I heard of a bloc vote.

No. Affiliates are not judges--just members.

Gerry, glad to be airing the issue
Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair, Region 15 RVP
in warm, winterless Los Angeles--USDA 9b-ish, Sunset 18-19

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!