Re: Re: AIS: 2001 Dykes Medal Award

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: AIS: 2001 Dykes Medal Award
  • From: judyhunt1@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 18:28:14 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/01 8:05:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time, neilm@charter.net
writes:

< There's a note there that says to watch for the announcement--to be
 made late July or early August.  Well, it's early August and the
 clock's running....>

Thanks, Neil.  I had checked the website first and thought maybe someone on
the list might have advance word.  Our sale today was very successful, even
without publicizing the new Dykes winner!

 < The Wister medal seems now to be the predictor....Last year
 the top Wister vote-getter was MESMERIZER, with CELEBRATION SONG a
 somewhat close second.  Care to take bets?>

 It's hard to say.  I only know who my husband and I voted for and it was
neither of these...not to disparage them, but we haven't grown either one and
I have heard that CS does not perform well in some areas.  (We did order it
this year...it is such a beautiful flower we wanted to see what it would do
in our garden.) To be brutally honest, voting for the Dykes this year was
difficult for us.  Sometimes it is hard to decide between several outstanding
cultivars.  This was not one of those times, unfortunately.  We believe that
the Dykes medal winner should perform well all over the country and it seems
to be very difficult to produce such an iris these days.

My 2 cents worth...

Judy Hunt in Louisville, KY, Zone 6

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!