Re: AIS:2002 Symposium

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] AIS:2002 Symposium
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gerrysnyder@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 18:40:38 -0700

wmoores wrote:

>    Gerry asked:
>
> > I would appreciate an example of what you think I should have said.
> > How much history should I have gone into? I thought (obviously
> > incorrectly) that the simple statement was enough.
>
>    Walter responded:
>
>    Well, our club met and we voted!  But, did we do it correctly?  We had no
> guidelines.  We had to make up rules as we went, almost.  Our first
> ground rule was that an iris had to get five votes to get recorded as
> a favorite on the ballot.

Each affiliate can use its own rules.

>    Several questions arose and the most important was if seven people
> vote for GREEN GANGRENE, do we record all seven votes or just place
> one x in the blank?  We decided on the latter, so each iris that was
> voted on got only one vote, provided at least five members raised
> their hands.  Is that the way the ballot is supposed to be marked?

An affiliate is a member. Each member can cast a
single vote for up to 25 iris listed on the ballot.
In other words, you did it right.

> We still don't know?  There is an "O" for the second member of the
> family, but in the case of affiliate voting, what are the other
> letters for the third, fourth votes, etc?  Or, can we use numbers and
> record "7" for GREEN GANGRENE?  Who knows?

Dual affiliate memberships do not exist, so no "O" and no need
for further symbols.

>    When one affiliate votes one way and another votes another, I can
> see that all affiliate votes should be thrown out.

If you can convince a majority of the AIS board of that,
and they so direct me, and if it is shown that clubs
voted differently in some significant manner, I will
inform the RVP's of the decision.

>    I think Ellen and I are in the same camp on this along with other
> affiliates when they try to make this work.  There just isn't enough
> information to make it work for affiliates this first time around.

This, as I have said before, is not the first time around.
I have no information about how many clubs were already
doing it, though.

>   Gerry explained earlier:
>
> > You are correct that the discussion did not make it into the minutes of
> > the fall 2000 board meeting. The minutes would fill the Bulletin if that
> > kind of detail were available. And perhaps it should be, somewhere, but
> > not in the Bulletin.
> >
>    Walter responded again:
>
>    I consider this major policy.  Whether it is a change in policy or not, I don't
> know. I have not seen or don't remember the original policy as it has
> never been implemented in the two AIS regions I have voted in. I
> further think the decision to put the affiliate vote on the ballot
> should have been brought to the Board and approved by them first.

Walter, the issue was brought to the board, which decided that
no official motion, second, and approval was needed because it
was already established policy. If you don't like the fact that
I tried to help those societies which were ignorant of the
policy by telling them about it, I'm sorry.

> Now we have a "Florida Vote" situation in AIS!

That I strongly resent. In Florida two groups of very highly paid
professionals (I'm excluding the actual vote counters) were trying
to further their own interests. In AIS a bunch of volunteers, who
spend hundreds of hours of their own time and hundreds or thousands
of dollars of their own money each year, were trying to do what is
best for AIS and the iris world.

I hope you were just trying to be cute.

Gerry
--
mailto:gerrysnyder@mediaone.net
Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair, Region 15 RVP

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!