Re: AIS:2002 Symposium

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] AIS:2002 Symposium
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 21:00:22 -0500

Having been president of our local club (an AIS affiliate) for quite a few years, I'm not surprised, I guess, that most people didn't know the affiliates could vote the symposium.  I certainly did, though, because I got the ballot every time, along with the club's copy of the AIS Bulletin.  Because I never knew quite how to handle it, I just ignored the affiliate ballot.  One problem in having the club members vote is that many aren't members of AIS, and it is supposed to be a popularity vote by AIS members.  So, I did nothing, which may well have been the
wrong thing to do.  It sounds as if many other presidents treated it as I did, however.  Gerry Snyder certainly didn't make up something new
when he told us affiliates could vote, so we should not "get on his case" for simply stating what has been AIS policy for years.   It may seem an odd, even bad, policy, but it is the policy nonetheless, and affiliates or individual AIS who don't like it should communicate with their RVPs or board members to seek a change.  Instead of getting ticked at the messenger, take the issue to the people who created the reason for the message.
Arnold

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250