Re: AIS:2002 Symposium

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] AIS:2002 Symposium
  • From: laurief <laurief@paulbunyan.net>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 01 00:24:40 -0500

I hope I'm not stepping right into a big pile of poop (not that as a
horsewoman I don't do so on an hourly basis, anyway).  I've been reading
all the correspondence about affiliate voting, and I think it might be
helpful (I hope) for an objective third party (me) to condense and
organize that which has been discussed so far.  I have no previous
experience in this matter whatsoever, so any understanding I may have is
based solely on what I have read here.  It seems the affiliates are in
need of some more structured and specific symposium voting guidelines,
and you requested suggestions, so here are mine.  Off the top of my head,
perhaps the following paragraph could be used as a jumping off point for
creating the necessary guidelines to be included with next year's
symposium ballots:

Each AIS affiliate is eligible to vote the symposium.  The affiliate
ballot is to be filled out and counted as a *single* member, designating
up to 25 cultivars by placing an X in the space to the left of each
chosen cultivar name.  We encourage affiliates to vote the symposium
during a meeting of its members using whatever procedures are deemed
appropriate by the affiliate.  All members of the affiliate, whether
individual members of AIS or not, are eligible for involvement in voting
the affiliate ballot.

Does that help clarify the matter for those of you in affiliates? I am a
fairly recent member of AIS (in my second year), and I live in too remote
an area to have access to any iris club, event, or function.  Within the
context of my almost complete lack of organized iris participation, I
must admit that affiliate voting seems like a poor idea to me,
particularly given the current state of confusion and inconsistency
relative to affiliate voting procedures.  How valid can affiliate votes
possibly be if, in fact, there are individuals who take it upon
themselves to submit affiliate ballots without ever consulting the
affiliate membership?  I'm hoping that doesn't ever actually happen.

Just my two cents worth,

zone 3b northern MN - clay soil

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!