Re: CUT BACK IRIS?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CUT BACK IRIS?
  • From: John Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 23:09:46 -0700

THEO1415@aol.com wrote:

> I am still not clear on this.  Some say leave the foliage alone, and
> but only
> when it gets diseased.  Others say, but them back to 5 or 6 inch fans
> because
> they get nourishment from the leaves like bulbs.  Which?    Thank
> you.

What you do to your iris depends to a great extent on your local
environment. During the spring and summer in almost any environment, do
not trim the leaves back unless they are diseased or dead. Dispose of
them in the trash ot the compost pile.

If you get a lot of freeze and thaw during the winter, consider trimming
them in late fall to 6-8 inches and mulching them til the early spring
then uncovering them.(Mulched irises in the spring will almost surely
suffer from some rot)

If you get a solid cover of snow during the winter you may want to trim
them but don't worry about the mulch, the snow will take care of that.

Check the archives for more information.

I suggest Bill Shear's book "The Gardener's Iris Book" as an excellent
up to date reference.

http://www.AISGiftShop.com

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA