Re: AIS:2002 Symposium

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] AIS:2002 Symposium
  • From: gmbeasle@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 09:10:03 EDT

laurief@paulbunyan.net writes:

>  How valid can affiliate votes
>  possibly be if, in fact, there are individuals who take it upon
>  themselves to submit affiliate ballots without ever consulting the
>  affiliate membership?  I'm hoping that doesn't ever actually happen.

I have some comments after having read this whole thread.

1) As I understand it, affiliates are members of AIS and thus eligible to
vote just as individual members (even youth members) are. I would be against
changing this, although I am neither a member of AIS nor a member of an
affiliate at the moment.

2) The number of affiliate ballots is probably a minuscule amount compared to
the total membership.  So the amount of "damage" that could be done to the
results would be minimal.  I think the outrage that has been expressed is WAY
out of proportion.

3) The affiliate ballot COULD be a way for the 'great unwashed' masses who
are not presently members of AIS to have their interest piqued about
membership.  It would also be a very small way to get additional information
from a wider audience who may have useful information to contribute even if
they aren't members.

Note: great unwashed masses is just a more colorful way to refer to people
such as myself who are not AIS members - it is not intended as an actual
description of such people.

RosalieAnn

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!