  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CUT BACK IRIS?
  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@hophead.dyndns.org>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 09:16:47 +0000

On August 4, 2001 09:19 pm, you wrote:

> People who dry and ship rhizomes need to cut back only for shipping
> purposes.  It takes the shipped, dried and semi-sleepy rhizome a
> while to recover.  Don't do this to your own transplants, even.
> Minimal trim when moving the rhizome, none at all when growing.

	This reminds me I intended to send this in awhile ago. When I replanted the
borer attacked plants I vaguely had a memory of a discussion earlier this
year about not cutting the leaves. With a little knowledge being my only
weapon I decided to not cut the leaves. I planted out the seven rhizomes.
Three have had no leaf damage since the replanting. They look a little tired
but nothing extreme. Two totally lost all thier leaves. Two had some damage.
The two that have lost all thier leaves are now putting out quite a few new
shoots. One has six or seven the other smaller one only a couple. Of the rest
only the biggest best is showing any new growth and that is just a tiny bud.
This rhizome was one that suffered no leaf damage and transplanted best.

	I don't know what it means but I thought I would pass it on. The plants are
some sort of dwarf bearded. At least I think so-)

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!