  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CUT BACK IRIS?
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 13:58:10 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Zentena" <zentena@hophead.dyndns.org>

 > I thought the idea behind cleanup was to get the eggs out of the garden.
> you cut down the number of over wintering eggs you cut down the problems
> year.
> Nick
 You are right. In my opinion that is the best way to get rid of them. After
years of fighting them and then joining  this list I have them gone now.
Three  years ago I sprayed with Cygon for the first time. I mixed it way too
strong ( I do not recommend this practice).  When I dug that year I had no
borers but had damage from the year before. Holes in rhizome that had
healed). The last two years no damage or borers with out spraying since the
first time. I give credit to my clean up and no weeds, I use preen.

As I remember Dennis mows them down with a lawn mower< as a friend told him
to do. How do you pick up the little pieces.
For me his one year experiment does not = "the way to do it"

I would search the Archives with the word "borer" and get the real skinny
and find out from growers that have seen a borer before 1999.

I have green iris leaves all year. I don't cut them back at all.
10 miles north of Dennis

Mike Greenfield

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!