Re: Re: CUT BACK IRIS?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CUT BACK IRIS?
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 14:35:14 -0500

I've always understood that as long as the leaves of the iris, or any plant for that matter, are green the plant is feeding and gaining strength.  That is certainly the rule for bulbs like daffodils, etc., and I believe the iris fall in the same category.  Green foliage=plant is feeding, so don't cut.  Now, I don't have borers (and hope I never do), but I can't see that weakening the iris plant is the best way to combat them.  There must be a way to have your iris foliage and be borer-free, too.  Clean-up everything dead, dying, or infected  has to be the cardinal rule.
Arnold

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250