Re: CUT BACK IRIS?

I had always been taught by other more experienced gardeners that the
leaves of a plant are sustained by the volume of roots. That these 2
components are in balance. If you disturb the roots, ie remove some,
as what happens in transplanting, then some of the foliage should be
removed, because you would be stressing the plant by forcing the
fewer roots to maintain more leaves than it can accommodate. A couple
months ago I needed to move 3 rhizomes, but decided to leave all
leaves in place as I read on iris-talk. One was doing so badly, I dug
it up and gave it a good haircut. Today, the 2 without the haircut
are alive but still struggling a bit. (floppy leaves, little growth);
the one with the haircut is the most vigorous and has put out many
new leaves from its crown.
Laetitia

--- In iris-talk@y..., Nick Zentena <zentena@h...> wrote:
> On August 4, 2001 09:19 pm, you wrote:
>

> > People who dry and ship rhizomes need to cut back only for
shipping
> > purposes.  It takes the shipped, dried and semi-sleepy rhizome a
> > while to recover.  Don't do this to your own transplants, even.
> > Minimal trim when moving the rhizome, none at all when growing.
>

> 	This reminds me I intended to send this in awhile ago. When I
replanted the
> borer attacked plants I vaguely had a memory of a discussion
earlier this
> year about not cutting the leaves. With a little knowledge being my
only
> weapon I decided to not cut the leaves. I planted out the seven
rhizomes.
> Three have had no leaf damage since the replanting. They look a
little tired
> but nothing extreme. Two totally lost all thier leaves. Two had
some damage.
> The two that have lost all thier leaves are now putting out quite a
few new
> shoots. One has six or seven the other smaller one only a couple.
Of the rest
> only the biggest best is showing any new growth and that is just a
tiny bud.
> This rhizome was one that suffered no leaf damage and transplanted
best.

> 	I don't know what it means but I thought I would pass it on.
The plants are
> some sort of dwarf bearded. At least I think so-)
>
> Nick

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!