Re: Iris Borer Dete

Well, I was desperate, having actually seen borers totally KILL iris
that had been blooming only a month before, and I bought the stuff
(before I read these posts). I don't want to use poisons (ie CYgon)
if I can help it.
I have squeezed iris fans, and the b's  don't die.
I have operated on rhizomes; plucked borers out with an eyebrow
tweezer, made sure they had gone on to the great beyond, and still,
other borers came back that very night and drilled new holes UNDER
the rhizomes.
So you see, I'm desperate AND angry.
 I will report back next spring on what happens with this stuff...I
do not intend to use any other poisons; but I will remedy one very
bad mistake I made: I let lots of leaves and weeds grow around the
iris, and lay there thru the fall, winter and spring.
Thought it would make a nice 'natural' mulch. (yeah, right!)
I plan to wait till maybe early December, when I'm sure those b's
have laid their vile eggs, then give everything a haircut AND blow
dry, and cover the whole thing with cedar chips.
I dare one borer to show its ugly red head!

--- In iris-talk@y..., "Daniel Michalowski" <ARADIA@t...> wrote:
> On the inside of the back-cover of the AIS Bulletin, July 2001
issue there is an advertisement for a Garden Shield product - "Iris
Borer Deterrent".
> Would appreciate any comments regarding this product?
> Dan Michalowski
> ARADIA@t...
> Zone 5

Small business owners...