Re: CULT: Roundup (was Bleach)

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Roundup (was Bleach)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 10:42:19 -0400

Mel, MT zone 4,
<My mother in law (who grows everything but iris's) has said you can use
round up
in a to be planted area but you MUST water(to saturation) every day for
10 to 12 days after application before planting. Has anyone in the
group        tried this method? >

I use Roundup regularly to prepare beds.  It is a fairly slow acting
systemic so it usually takes a couple of weeks after spraying for the
grass to completely brown up.  I usually miss a few spots, so respray.
This means it takes about a month from the time I spray till planting.
Because Roundup is a systemic killer, it works best when the plant you
are trying to kill is actively growing so spray will be moved rapidly
from the leaves to the roots, where it does its dirty work.  (therefore
when irises are actively growing is the most 'dangerous' time to spray
near them).   Sooo... the only thing I can figure from the 'water for
two weeks' suggestion is that it might help if you are in a really dry
area/season, but it might actually make more sense to water ahead of
time.  No, I haven't tried that method.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!