CULT: sulfur, calcium, rot & experiments

  • Subject: CULT: sulfur, calcium, rot & experiments
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 11:02:32 -0400

Two interesting bits of information I don't think have been discussed
here before were in the last bulletin about rot prevention using sulfur
and calcium foliar spray.  I think both of these were Oregon commercial
gardens.   Has anybody tried these two for rot prevention in other parts
of the country?

In this part of the world, I think they recommend sulfur to lower soil
pH (acidify the soil), and calcium to raise pH (make it more neutral or
'sweeter').  I was thinking of maybe trying some calcium sulfate, if I
can find a source.  It should be more or less neutral, as far as
altering soil acidity, as I recall.

Comments?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Small business owners...