Re: CULT: sulfur, calcium, rot & experiments

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: sulfur, calcium, rot & experiments
  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@hophead.dyndns.org>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:49:23 +0000

On August 6, 2001 03:02 pm, you wrote:
> Two interesting bits of information I don't think have been discussed
> here before were in the last bulletin about rot prevention using sulfur
> and calcium foliar spray.  I think both of these were Oregon commercial
> gardens.   Has anybody tried these two for rot prevention in other parts
> of the country?

	I dust things with sulfur. Tulips,daffodils,glads and irises. Not to mention
black spot covered roses. It's fungicide [I think] not to mention plants need
a little. If the plant is out of the ground it isn't too hard to put some
into a bag and shake the bulbs etc to coat them with sulfur. I doubt the
little that gets stuck to the plant really moves soil Ph too much.

> In this part of the world, I think they recommend sulfur to lower soil
> pH (acidify the soil), and calcium to raise pH (make it more neutral or
> 'sweeter').  I was thinking of maybe trying some calcium sulfate, if I

	Gypsum shouldn't be that hard to find but I'm not sure it will help. The
sulfur might be bound and not usefull.  Lime [calicum carbonate] raises Ph
but I think it's the carbonate more then the calicum.

Nick

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!