AIS: Symposium (popularity poll?),website, comments

  • Subject: AIS: Symposium (popularity poll?),website, comments
  • From: Ellen Gallagher <ellengalla@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:25:47 -0700 (PDT)

This appears on the official AIS website:

the AIS. All AIS members may vote. The top 100 iris are ranked. The
results of the 2001 Symposium as printed in the January 2001 AIS Bulletin
are given below. The previous year (2000) symposium rankings are shown as
well to give some comparison.<<<<

To recap one sentence:

>>>All AIS members may vote.<<<<

True, the affiliates are members and AIS non-members belong to affiliates.
But _surely_ one can concede that the implication is conveyed that these
are the annual top 100 irises voted on by AIS members..not _all_ but AIS
members nonetheless. The public that clicks on the official AIS URL
assumes that these AIS members know more than a newbie does about TBs. (I
thought that years ago when I joined now I am older and probably wiser and
would have to revise that thinking somewhat.) :-)

I did select my first named TBs from the Symposium and I venture that
others did/do, too. That fact alone makes the Symposium important...no
matter the paltry number of _members_ that actually vote in any given

I e-mailed one of the most active members of my club, the Maine Iris
Society, about this matter and this is part of the response:

and I think it is improbable that it ever would. It never occurred to me
that it could be done.<<<<

A few thoughts out of many concerning this:

I have re-read this morning all posts the thread on this subject (that we
owe Walter Moores a big pat on the back for bringing it to this forum). I
agree with Sandy Ives that there has been no form of attacking (my words
that I borrowed from a few of you) anybody. AIS policy was debated and
discussed not a 'messenger'. I have met Gerry Snyder a few times and agree
with Rosalie that he is a fine fellow indeed. . This is not about
personalities but POLICY.

I think the affiliates' votes should be tallied separately from
individuals and it might serve as a learning/discussion tool for meetings
but it doesn't seem probable as a way to have a combined vote and the
fairness factor has to be considered. No one has come forward and said
their club
does this every year. Sharon alluded to it being a learning tool.

Ellen Gallagher / ellengalla@yahoo.com
Berlin, NH, USA / Zone 3

Do You Yahoo!?

Small business owners...