Re: Bleach

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Bleach
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 14:36:22 -0500

Round-up works on the plants; it does not work on the soil, nor does what is sprayed on the plants have any effect on the soil after those plants die.  I have planted other things there quite soon with no ill effects.  And you can use Round-up right next to the iris as long as the R-u
does not get on the iris leaves.  I use a small foam paint brush  and paint the leaves of the dandelions (or whatever) that grow amidst the iris, too much inside the iris clump itself to spray even if one protects the iris with cardboard.  This works fine, and I have never noticed any bad effects whatsoever on the iris.  The last couple of years I have begun to use Spectracide instead of R-u, because it kills much quicker, most of the time in 24 hr., so I don't have to keep picking blossoms to keep them from going to seed while I wait for a weed to die.

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250
e-mail  koekkoek@mtcnet.net