Re: Re: Mulch (wasIris Borer Dete)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: Mulch (wasIris Borer Dete)
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 14:47:27 -0500

 Laetitia:  Please don't mulch your iris with lots of cedar chips.   Use something coarse that will keep the winter sun off the rhizomes but will let the air move through.    Otherwise, with things like the chips, you will hold the moisture around your rhizomes, which is a sure guarantee of rot problems.  And whatever you use, it has to come off in the very early spring before the rains begin in earnest.  The coarse mulch will prevent the freeze/thaw/freeeze/thaw cycle that rots rhizomes, also will keep the ground frozen and thus keep the new plants from heaving.   I have no borers, for which I'm very thankful, so I don't know how all this might effect a borer population, or if it will have any effect at all.

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250
e-mail  koekkoek@mtcnet.net