Re: Iris Borer Dete

  • Subject: Re: Iris Borer Dete
  • From: alhbee@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 01:03:52 -0000

God bless you, Laetitia, I want you on my side.
I have used Merit, an imidacloprid made by Bayer, for three years.
Last year I found three borers, this year 8 borers. These have always
been on the edges of the bed, where I keep pushing to squeeze in
another iris.I get too close to other perennials that can harbor
borers and eggs. Merit is available in the Northern Virginia at two
garden centers.  I have a friend in the retail garden business who
orders for me. What I get is formulated for lawns and as such
contains a solidifying agent so it will not run. I have to be careful
not get too much on the rhizome. I have used Cygon in the past, but
went with the Merit as it is better IMHO. I clean up the iris beds
spring and fall and blow dry(?)the beds in fall. Of course, all the
neighbors leaves then blow in to fill the vacuum.
I use no mulch. Many years ago as I put down straw and had the worst
borer season in years. One of the local members swears by builders
sand as a mulch to reduce heaving. I will try it this fall.

I have a problem with Dete and the ad. If the AIS knew it was
worthless why did they allow the ad. It seems to me to have been an
indorsement per se. I did not order because of the lack of comment on
the talks channels, but I was sorely tempted.

Al Bullock
Zone 7 No. Va.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!