Re: OT: Roundup/Bleach

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk]OT: Roundup/Bleach
  • From: doris1434@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 21:54:17 EDT

In a message dated 8/6/2001 6:08:56 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
koekkoek@mtcnet.net writes:

> Doris, I find that Spectracide works just like Roundup--on plants, not on
> the soil or in the soil--but is just so much faster.  I like it a lot
> because I can see within 24 hours if I've gotten it on the plant; don't
> have to wait 2 weeks like Roundup
       That part I like. . .RU is slower to show the demise of the sprayed
plant. . .

.  They aren't really systemics, because that would mean you could spray on
the soil, the plants would suck it up and
> then die.

       Nope. . Arnold. . .RU IS a systemic, that is, the actively growning
plant absorbs the spray and it circulates (for lack of a more scientific
word) through the plant and DOWN INTO THE ROOT SYSTEM, which is why RU is so
good on Bermuda and Johnson grass. . non-systemics just top kill, leaving the
rhizome roots to sent up new shoots.

       Systemics are the insecticides that are absorbed by the plants so that
> plant and die.
>
>     Yes, there are systemic insecticides also and they work as you said.
>
>     I've used RU for probably 25 years and I buy the commerical FULL
> STRENGTH model. . expensive as heck. Last gallon I bought was $108.00. BUT.
> . .the proportions of RU to water are small, it WORKS, and it lasts for a
> very long time - for me. . probably 3-4 years when I was farming. . now

Doris Elevier zone 7, El Paso, TX where it's hot, dry and windy!

Any activity becomes creative when the doer cares about doing it right,
or doing it better.  --John Updike

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!