Re: Re: Attacking the AIS Messenger

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: Attacking the AIS Messenger
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 21:10:31 -0500

Hello Folks,

>We say things with intended humor
>that seem worse in email, because the smile behind the
>words does not come through as it would in person.

I think Gerry is right here.  My own perspective on the thread was not one
of attacking the messenger, but rather of some active and experienced AIS
members stumbling across something in effect that they were't cognizant of
being in effect.  I would note that Walter, Ellen and Jeff probably have a
lot years with the AIS.  Active years.  So how did they miss it?  Gerry is
to be commended for bringing it the fore and I'm quite sure everyone would
agree with that.  The point was not that Gerry wrote it, but that is was an
unknown.  Arnold had seen it, but didn't know how to put it into effect, so
ignored it.  Sharon, on the other hand, was familiar with it and been privvy
to a group that used the rule in a specific manner.  If all the affiliates
are not equally aware of their ability to vote the Symposium as a group,
then both Gerry's insertion of that fact and the questions being posed on
this list are relevant to getting Symposium votes.  And a plus.  It always
helps when people are working with the same information.

I wonder how many years combined the above people have with AIS.  I'm not an
active member, just a member.  Nor does voting in the Symposium rate very
high with me personally.  I think all such 'lists' are inherently flawed,
but fun nonetheless.  A cultivar could get or miss out on a vote here just
by whether or not it was planted in full sun or with considerable shade.
I'm talking a mere few yards in making the difference on how it might grow
and thus affect any vote I might send its way.  Not to mention what our
variable weather patterns might dish out for two or three consecutive
seasons.  It would seem these posts are likely a good start in getting the
knowledge about the rule better known.  Then if it needs adjustment, that
can be done.  If only a few are aware of the rule, then it won't be utilized
well in any form, much less with any consistency.

FWIW.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7, USA - and the new Bulletin would just about make it worthwhile
to be a member of AIS.  Good job!

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!