Re: Re: Iris Borer Dete

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: Iris Borer Dete
  • From: John Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 20:58:49 -0700

lmmunro@hotmail.com wrote:
> Well, I was desperate, having actually seen borers totally KILL iris
> that had been blooming only a month before, and I bought the stuff
> (before I read these posts). I don't want to use poisons (ie CYgon)
> if I can help it.
> I have squeezed iris fans, and the b's  don't die.
> I have operated on rhizomes; plucked borers out with an eyebrow
> tweezer, made sure they had gone on to the great beyond, and still,
> other borers came back that very night and drilled new holes UNDER
> the rhizomes.
> So you see, I'm desperate AND angry.
> I will report back next spring on what happens with this stuff...I
> do not intend to use any other poisons; but I will remedy one very
> bad mistake I made: I let lots of leaves and weeds grow around the
> iris, and lay there thru the fall, winter and spring.
> Thought it would make a nice 'natural' mulch. (yeah, right!)
> I plan to wait till maybe early December, when I'm sure those b's
> have laid their vile eggs, then give everything a haircut AND blow
> dry, and cover the whole thing with cedar chips.
> I dare one borer to show its ugly red head!

Bill Shear's book "The Iris Gardener's Book" goes through the life cycle
of the borer and has suggestions on how best to defeat it.

Fall trim and cleanup of debris it the primary preventative. I would
worry a little about the cedar chips unless you are using them for some
other reason. They might provide a shelter for any eggs left in the
ground and possible contribute to rot depending on your area.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:
Vice Chairman, Region 14 of the AIS