Re: Re: Mulch - cedar chips

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: Mulch - cedar chips
  • From: RYFigge@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 12:24:56 EDT

Or chjps in general.  Once upon a time  - as stories begin! - my daughter
lived in R.I. and  it gets very cold there.  So because of that reason, or
maybe she didn't know any  better at the time, she really mulched her irises
 -   AND it worked fine!  Nobody in this region  had ever done such a thing
and were horrified and advised against  it,  However,  thru osmosis, I had a
little scientific experimental view and decided to mulch, but near the
irises, around them, NOT  on them.  And it worked fine for this area, and
soon others were trying it, and it is more or less an established practice .
There are many advantages, (since then I have added Weed-cloth between  the
"iris aisles" and under the weedcloth have folded newspaper as an added
prevention)  this helps to keep down the weeds,  it kkeeps some moisture sort
of handy in a drought (I also have soaker hoses on top of the mulch), the
garden looks so much better, and it is easier to walk among the irises.
Now to mulch or not and to mulch ON the irises or not depends on WHERE the
irises are growing -- North, South, East, West ?  What is fine for New
England would not do for Alabama etc and so far, do we know where Laetitia
lives?  The only clue I have, it must be near water!  So she had better
decide what would be best for her area.  In the Spring, I would certainly
movethe mulch off the rhizomes in any area.   Before I mulched I used to put
handfuls of sand on top of the rz so they would not heave out of the ground
so much and during the winter that would be washed off by
Spring and it has helped my soil, with all the other stuff I.ve used.  End of
story!  Rosalie nr Baltimore  zone 7 which thinks it is in Texas in zone 9
with their heat and drought    ryfigge@aol.com

(

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!