Re: CULT: Iris Borers

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Iris Borers
  • From: "Jim Gibbons" <gibbman6@home.com>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:20:26 -0400

Diana wrote:

> I always assumed the eggs were laid close to the bottom of the fans so
> the new little caterpillars would be closer to the rhizome.

From what I understand, iris borer moms lay eggs in the debris at or near
the base of the plants, and not on the foliage. Hence the oft mentioned
defense of cleaning up all dead foliage from the beds and burning (or
otherwise disposing ). Being weak fliers, they tend not to go too far. I had
the pleasure of catching one in the very early morning hovering above a
less-than-spotless bed where I've had problems. They are indeed clumsey in
the air. In another bed that I've kept quite clean, they haven't seemed to
have found, or infested, it yet, although its only about 100' away.

Jim Gibbons
NC Coast, Zone 8a and sandy, and about as hot and humid as it gets here

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!