Cult: Borers and Mulch

  • Subject: Cult: Borers and Mulch
  • From: lmmunro@hotmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 21:39:11 -0000

Now I don't know WHAT to DO..about the mulch I mean. I
thought 'cedar' because lots of insects do not like cedar, its a
natural repellant. So...maybe also the borers...
Also, where I live I would like to give the iris a little more
protection. Its Northern NJ, zone 6 but really seems colder. I get
snow...sometimes..and its wet here too(in the winter, that is).
(Watershed area..lots of wetlands and lakes).
Once Dec comes around, there is no more green foliage, and rebloomers
here? No way in December.
Last year was my first serious iris growing year. Some new rhizomes
died and they were alive before the winter...dead afterwards.With no
protection.
If you put the mulch AROUND the rhizome, what would you have? a
little rhizome lump encircled with mulch?? How is that helpful? It's
still exposed.
I know people who mulch and people who don't around here. It doesn't
seem like a definite yes or no.
It appears once an iris is anchored in well (like after a full year)
it doesn't die because of the cold.
Of course, last year I planted in mid september...maybe that
contributed to the iris loss?? (about 10% croaked)Not bad, but I
don't want any fatalities.
Someone wrote a while ago and said she lost the majority of TB's
because of the cold winter someplace up north.That was pretty scary.
If I do mulch, I'll remove the stuff before the spring rainy season.
I think cedar chips are on the large and loose side, no??
Not that red ugly stuff..but natural big-hunk stuff. That's what I
had in mind.
Laetitia

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!