RE: Re: AIS: Registration List on CD

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Re: AIS: Registration List on CD
  • From: "Iris Moose" <irismoose@daylily.net>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 18:46:52 -0400

Hi Patricia,  it would be great to use the possible CD in such a manner.
There are countless ways each of us could benefit from such a product.
However, my questions posted below were meant to the organizers of the
project.  For example, what were the goals that were established prior to
starting the project that they hoped to achieve?  Is this the official
registration data that the Iris Registrar will use in the future or is this
just a reference without any official approval?  Will this project have to
be started again later from scratch to meet the specifications that the
Registrar requires for the official iris registration record?  Will this new
database be set up for him to enter the data so that it only has to be
entered the original time, and not later added to the unofficial website
registry?  Are AIS's priority's in this project to establish a database to
make the Registrar's job easier and the electronic record accurate, or is
the priority to set up list for people to do a website search of certain
data that is not the official record?  One can say that scanning the
official record and then adding some tabs to it is official, but if it is
not the database used by the Registrar for his official record then it
simply becomes just another format of the printed books.  The planning of
such a huge project is the most important part.  Finding volunteers for a
well reasoned project with clear goals that everyone knows will benefit the
Society in the greatest fashion will create a flood of people wanting to
help.  Are some people not coming forth to volunteer now because they feel
this will have to be started over from scratch again at a later date?  These
types of questions need to be asked and answered  prior to starting
something so huge and involving so many people.

What questions did the AIS Directors ask prior to approving this project and
what goals did they set for this project?

I am a big proponent of seeing this completed in the best fashion possible.

Respectfully,
Iris Moose