Re: Re: AIS: Registration List on CD

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: AIS: Registration List on CD
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 21:59:24 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Iris Moose" <irismoose@daylily.net>
To: <iris-talk@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 6:46 PM

> Hi Patricia,  it would be great to use the possible CD in such a manner.
> There are countless ways each of us could benefit from such a product.
> However, my questions posted below were meant to the organizers of the
> project.  For example, what were the goals that were established prior to
> starting the project that they hoped to achieve?  Is this the official
> registration data that the Iris Registrar will use in the future or is
this
> just a reference without any official approval?  Will this project have to
> be started again later from scratch to meet the specifications that the
> Registrar requires for the official iris registration record?  Will this
new
> database be set up for him to enter the data so that it only has to be
> entered the original time, and not later added to the unofficial website
> registry?  Are AIS's priority's in this project to establish a database to
> make the Registrar's job easier and the electronic record accurate, or is
> the priority to set up list for people to do a website search of certain
> data that is not the official record?  One can say that scanning the
> official record and then adding some tabs to it is official, but if it is
> not the database used by the Registrar for his official record then it
> simply becomes just another format of the printed books.  The planning of
> such a huge project is the most important part.  Finding volunteers for a
> well reasoned project with clear goals that everyone knows will benefit
the
> Society in the greatest fashion will create a flood of people wanting to
> help.  Are some people not coming forth to volunteer now because they feel
> this will have to be started over from scratch again at a later date?
These
> types of questions need to be asked and answered  prior to starting
> something so huge and involving so many people.
>
> What questions did the AIS Directors ask prior to approving this project
and
> what goals did they set for this project?

Fom reading the threads on The iris registration list for the last several
years I belive the goal is to Put what is in the R&I books in digital form,
on the Internet. Which I believe has been approved by AIS. Nothing has been
approved for a CD version, but has been talked about. This is a huge job.
John Jones and his helpers are doing a super job. I think starting simple is
the best way.

> I am a big proponent of seeing this completed in the best fashion
possible.

> Respectfully,
> Iris Moose

Who is to decide what is the best way? Pictures in the data base? Who
decides which picture should be put in? Computer moniters are different so
the colors might be right on one and wrong on another. What information that
is not in the R&I's should be added and who decides?

I know little about data bases, but at this time more might not be better if
it kills the whole thing by being too big a job.

 Mike Greenfield
redear@infinet.com

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!