Re: SPEC: Unknown wild iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] SPEC: Unknown wild iris
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 22:53:30 -0500

I recently was given a pot of iris that came from a field in western Illinois where, according to the giver, they grow wild all over his meadow and especially in the wetter areas, such as near a creek.  He doesn't know the name, nor do I, but I thought maybe somebody on this would know the answer.  I have not seen them bloom, though I believe the report was "blue".  The distinctive thing to me seems to be the rhizomes, which apparently like being exposed and appear to be striped.  When I first saw them lying on top of the soil, I thought I was seeing Monarch butterfly caterpillars.  Does anyone know what these are?  I'm hoping this description might ring a bell, or that one of you would just know what iris species would be growing wild in this area west of Macomb, IL, maybe 25 mi. from the Miss. River.
Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250
e-mail  koekkoek@mtcnet.net